501c3 Non-Profit Org ~ Since 2011













Please consider making a donation, to help Husker's Hope build the funds needed to help save lives!

Copyright © 2011
All photos and content
are property of
Husker's Hope
Dachshund Rescue, Inc.

Donations are processed through PayPal, a safe and secure payment center, and help cover the costs associated with the Dachshund's entrusted to our care.


Molly came into rescue after her owner passed away. No one in her immediate family could care for her. We immediately understood why, within a week.

When we met the transport, they informed us that she was terrified of men. She had urinated and defecated in her transport kennel, and did the same when taken out.

Molly was terrified. She had known nothing and no one outside the home of her deceased owner, who had her since she was 8 weeks old.

Her real issues started to develop as she settled in and tried to cope with her new world. She had not only never met other people, she had never met a child or other dogs. So, being in a home with several other dogs was terrifying to her.

Molly attached quickly to Carla, and seemed to tolerate the other dachshunds in her new world. But, she would sit in a corner outside, until all the other pups went inside and it was just me and her.

After another week, Molly began to adjust to the other pups, being able to do her business and explore a little. However, she began to show signs of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) in her attempts to adjust and cope.

Molly would chase shadows and reflections, sometimes for hours. She would not stop to take a drink, though the temps outside were well in the 90s, or come inside for meals. She would literally have to be picked up, to come inside to cool off, get a drink, or eat. After a month of watching Molly's OCD intensify, we took a video of her in this mode and headed to the vet for assistance.

The vet watched the video and stated that it looked like Molly was having a great time. When I explained that this video was taken 3 hours into her doing it, they understood what we were up against. First we tried a pharomone collar. That didn't work, as it would have to be so tight to her neck to generate the heat that makes it work.

So, we were sent home with doggy prozac. That seemed to do the trick, but was not something we wanted to use long term.

Molly needed to reconnect with feeling safe and secure in her new world. So, in addition to her medications, we took her to events and other places with lots of people and dogs, to help her regain her trust of the world she was now living in.

It took many months for Molly to adjust and find an inner peace to allow her to just be the sweet girl that she is.

She even got adopted once, but was returned in a couple weeks, as she regressed back to square one of her mental issues with new environments.

After nearly 6 months, Molly started to show great improvement. She even enjoyed playing with other dachshunds. And, no longer hid in a corner when new people came around to visit. She was taken to a new foster home. There she continued to improve to the point of near perfection.

She still loved to chase reflections and shadows, but now it was a game, instead of a coping mechanism. However, though she was now accepting adults, she was still terrified of children.

It was nearly a year after Molly arrived that she finally found the perfect family for her.

Many folks attempted to adopt her, but she refused to eat or drink, and would sit in a corner the entire time. The folks simply did not understand, not having the patience to allow Molly to adjust on her own terms and in her own time.

Ultimately Molly was adopted by a family, with children. She did not want anything to do with the younger children. But the family was patient with Molly, working with her everyday. In time, Molly accepted everyone. In fact, her best friend was the youngest child of the family. She no longer needs to take medications for anxiety and is enjoying the perfect life in her new home!

Back to Story List